POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Adaptive trees (AMR) in POV ray : Re: Adaptive trees (AMR) in POV ray Server Time
14 Jun 2024 08:34:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adaptive trees (AMR) in POV ray
From: Daniel Hulme
Date: 18 Jul 2005 17:11:30
Message: <20050718221130.5371368b@dh286.pem.cam.ac.uk>
> The idea is that this process could be applied recursively (of course)
> to split up A and C, and also adaptively -- maybe a human (read:
> complex triangle mesh) is standing in the upper right quadrant of A
> and moving to C; one could recursively divide A and the children from
> A until the human is contained almost entirely within an exact fit
> box. That box could 'move' over to C later in the animation.

The problem is not nor explanation, nor the spatial tree structure.
POV-Ray already uses a hierarchy of bounding slabs. The thing is, for an
animation, POV-Ray parses the scene afresh for each frame, recreating
the bounding slab tree from scratch. Thus each tree is static and has no
need to adapt to changing geometry.

Thank you anyway for your suggestion.

--
"The  rules  of  programming  are  transitory;  only  Tao  is  eternal.
 Therefore you  must contemplate Tao before you receive  enlightenment."