POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : rules violations in 'architecture' round : Re: rules violations in 'architecture' round Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rules violations in 'architecture' round
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 6 May 2003 12:21:22
Message: <20030506182213.0ddc3a3e.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On Thu, 01 May 2003 21:51:13 +0200

> Browsed through the images of this round for the first time - a lot of
> very interesting images but i think there are a few possible rule
> violations:
>
> * home.jpg - 3 images put together in an imaging program, it is
> clearly mentioned in the text file, probably the author was just not
> aware of the rules.

Stills FAQ, 1.1.20:

Q: Can I enter an image that is a composite of two or more views of the
same scene, perhaps from different angles? That is, can I submit the
larger image, with a "detail" panel in it?

A: Yes. Although this is, strictly speaking, post-processing, it does
not affect the actual pixels of the image. Just make sure that it's
obvious what you did and why, and perhaps note in your text what is
going on.

> * 3dcomwat.jpg - I am not sure about this.  It's an impressive
> picture, the text says:

  For what I can see on the image, the persons do not seem added over
the rendered image, but used as thin figures on the scene. This is a
technique used widely on architecture renders. Look at the shadows and
the borders of the figures, they are perfectly integrated. Even the
reflection is right on terms of perspective!

> * m_fairyt.jpg and jg_w3way.jpg - resized from larger renders
> according to the text file.  The latter elaborates on the problem and
> states this is not a violation of the rules referring to a discussion
> in the IRTC mailing list.  I have not followed the mailing list
> closely recently but this quite clearly is not right.

Stuills FAQ, 1.1.14:

Q: Is it legal to resize my image after it is rendered?
A: Yes, it is. Be careful doing it, though--unless done correctly,
resizing can often add unwanted visual artifacts to an image.

Note: I know this one is outdated because today resizing techniques on
the average program are much better, but it is on the FAQ, so it is a
sort of "approved" behavior until revised by the admins.

P.S.: As always, I prefer the way "let's the judges decide".

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres
La Persistencia de la Ignorancia