POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio v.9 : Re: Capriccio v.9 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio v.9
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 15 Apr 2003 04:12:35
Message: <20030415101235.6d0f00db.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On 14 Apr 2003 16:53:33 -0400
ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> There are two reasons why I sometimes wonder why there is no
> "Gamma_correction yes/no" instead of assumed_gamma;
>
> - assumed_gamma seems to generate a lot of confusion although the way
> it works is technically correct.

  Yes, but gamma in general generates a lot of confusion, isn't? ;)

> - Working with POV-Ray is like working in a photo studio (even for
> outdoor scenes) where you have full control over the lighting scheme
> and thus over  contrast range / distribution ('gamma').

  That's true, but I think you must have a way to adjust the image for
the viewing conditions (once the scene is finished), without having to
change all the lighting and texturing setup. Also, we need a standard
way to "syncronize" our viewing gammas when sharing code. The float
assumed_gamma give us this all, IMHO.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia