POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : faked HDRI : Re: faked HDRI Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: faked HDRI
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 30 Dec 2002 17:30:11
Message: <20021230233012.3bccb741.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:50:43 +0200
Kari Kivisalo <pro### [at] luxlabcom> wrote:

> I see two problems. Povray doesn't output 16 bit tgas and
> doesn't use the low byte of 16 bit pngs. You might as well
> used 8 bit files.

  Well, you are right, as usual. :)

  I've done the experiment without even thinking about how many bits of
color I was using. As I said, I tought that this was not the important
thing. I only looked at it to answer to Ingo.

  Anyhow, I've just tried it again directly with the tga, to be sure,
and the result is the same, of course. So, you must be right and POV
only reads 8 bits from the PNG. But, there is a format in wich POV
reads more than 8 bit for a image_map? ...I've tried with different
formats at 8 and 16 bits, but the results look always the same (with
the exception of the crash with TIFF and the "multicolor" results
with PPM).

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia