POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : faked HDRI : Re: faked HDRI Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: faked HDRI
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 30 Dec 2002 05:55:53
Message: <20021230115553.62c41f3b.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:33:22 +0100
"Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> I don't really grasp what you're doing. Are you
> using several dozens of lightsources and some are
> really bright (where actual lamps are) and others are
> more dim (just for bright surfaces etc), or are you
> doing something different?
> And how exactly do you prepare it, by hand, or by
> some ingenious POV-trace-find-color-put-lightsource
> way?

  No, it is a simple image_map, no light sources:

  sphere{0,.5 hollow
    pigment{
      image_map{png "office" map_type 1 interpolate 2}
    }
    finish{ambient 1}
    scale 10e5
  }

  The only other trick is using radiosity with a recursion limit of 1
and a brightness of 10. The important part for the result is how the
scene for the map shot is setup. In this map scene the lights must be
much brighter than any ohter object, so when mapped on the second scene
the pixels corresponding to the more bright parts behave as"faked"
light sources. The rest of the map also contributes to light the scene,
but much less than these "spots".

  Hope it is clear enough... I'm not really good at explaining my fuzzy
mental process. I'm noisy too...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia