POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Skylight include file : Re: Lighting system blunders Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting system blunders
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 11 Dec 2002 15:05:00
Message: <20021211210500.69316ac9.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:54:41 +0100
"Philippe Debar" <phd### [at] wanadoobe> wrote:

> Okay. But if I read the formula right, it is still implicitly present,
> as lct/REF_WHITE is no more normalized. It should be more or less
> equivalent.

  Oops! I forget it, sorry:

(vnormalize((lct/REF_WHITE)+(<COLOR_FILTER.gray,COLOR_FILTER.gray,COLOR
_FILTER.gray>-COLOR_FILTER))*EXPOSURE)

  Then no local intensity involved now... only the temperature
correction and color balancing, and of course the global exposure.

> BTW I have some colour theory ideas for lightsys, but I need to test
> them first. If I believe them to be of any interest, I'll mail them to
> you.

  Please! I only barely understand what I'm doing... any help, specially
on color theory, will be very welcomed.

> I just ignored the parts I did not understand ;-)

  Ah! This is an ancient technique... I use it so often that I even
honoured it with the name of my web site. :)

> Yes and no. I do not want the sky to be lighted by anything but
> itself. Moreover, I want the sky to act as a light_source for
> radiosity, hence the high ambient value and higher then <1,1,1>
> colours as you go near the sun.
> [...]
> Yes, POV says to use ambient 0 in radiosity for non-light-emitting
> objects. But I want the sky to be luminous, that is to light objects
> in the scene. It is no only a pretty / accurate (?) background, it
> also provides a realistic(? again) outdoor light setup.

  That's what I supposed. Anyhow, the SunColor returned isn't
supposed to have the sky color weighted in it?

> What are the problems with the way it originally is? Tell me what
> isn't to your taste, I'll try to solve it.

  Perhaps I've not explained it very well: How I can use it on my
scenes, having this dirty (and perhaps stupid) habit of using global
ambient set to 0?

> Decreasing the weight of the sun will probably increase the sky
> luminosity.

  Sorry, I wanted to write "decreasing overall luminosity and increasing
sun weight", of course... I must pay more attention to what I write. :(

> I hope you will not have to struggle too much with my file ;-)

  Not really... only with the fiLuminous declaration, really.

  Well, going back to skylighting...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia