POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seven dots show the sky : Re: Seven dots show the sky Server Time
14 Aug 2024 13:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seven dots show the sky
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 20 Nov 2002 17:20:18
Message: <20021120232018.34b2cb93.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:56:41 +0100
"Philippe Debar" <phd### [at] wanadoobe> wrote:

> Which one? (I do not have the files here to compare : they are on
> another computer) Spectra -> rgb ?

  Both WavelengthToRGB() and SpectrumToRGB() have some bits corrected.

> I must confess I changed the squared lm to lm while I was trying your
> files, but it was just because I could use the linear law more easily.
> Was the squared lm physically wrong?

  Well, lm*lm here had nothing to do with the square law (the relevant
part for that is fade_power and fade_distance). In fact the intensity
multiplier part was totally arbitrary.

> I also notice that the new balanced_color is a third of the old one.
> With these two changes, I suppose the outputted color values are much
> lower. I suppose one can use something like EXPOSURE = 3000/MAX_LUMEN
> as a rough beginning value to get approximately the same results.

 I don't know... I simply use trial&error to get the light level I want
(this is one of the reasons for creating the macros, indeed).

> Could I advise you to simplify your macro usage ? I would much more
> prefer to write :
>
> light_source {
>   <1,2,3>*1e6
>   Light_Color(cl_incandescent_60w, lm_w60_incandescent)
>   Cosine_Fallof_Spot()
>   point_at <9,8,7>
>   }

  Wow! I haven't figured out this posibility, mainly because my main
concern at first was to avoid using light_source directly. But I must
admit that your suggestion is very fine, and of course permits much more
control without adding aditional parameters to the existing light()
macro. As it must be really easy, I will add these macros soon.

> BTW, wouldn't
> be good to unify the cl/sp_sourcetype_##w and the lm_w##_sourcetype
> notation (I prefer the former, but that's just personnal taste) ?

  Er... hmmm... yes, I'm that inconsistent, sorry. I will unify all
the predefined variables too. Hopefully I'm going to have plenty of free
time from now to the end of the year, at least.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org