POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Dancing Flames of Fire (128 kb mpg) : Re: Dancing Flames of Fire (128 kb mpg) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dancing Flames of Fire (128 kb mpg)
From: Kedar Patil
Date: 11 Sep 2002 08:00:24
Message: <20020911172846.02cb4cdb.kedarDELETE_THIS@patilkedar.com>
> "Rune" wrote:

> I don't think OpenGL and POV-Ray can be compared very well when
> it comes to rendering quality. Can OpenGL even simulate
> volumetric effects similar to media?

I agree with you.  OpenGL has a polygons-and-textures type of
rendering engine.

I think I should have expressed myself more clearly.  I
wasn't comparing the rendering quality, but the behaviour of the
fire as a particle system.  What I had done was a kind of quick
hack to learn OpenGL and C++.  Your system seems to be more
"real" -- most probably it is based on more accurate physics
than what I used.

> Or how did you render the fire? Textured polygons facing the
> camera?

Yes, that's what I used :)  The rendering quality was not that
bad.  But, as you said, OpenGL is not to be compared with
POV-Ray.

-Kedar