POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : pov 3.5 : Re: pov 3.5 Server Time
18 May 2024 01:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov 3.5
From: WhiteGandalf
Date: 15 Jul 2002 16:29:53
Message: <20020715222950264+0200@news.povray.org>

> There is still something wrong with your measurement.  First of all,
> are you running on Mac OS Xor Mac OS 9?  You should really do
> benchmarking on Mac oS 9.  Anyway, that said, you also can only
> benchmark if you actually run for more than a few seconds.  Something
> like 10 minutes or so.  Right now you are measuring everything, but
> not render speed...

I am running X (8.6 is on another computer). Both programs were executed
under the most similar conditions, one after the other. Same settings,
same file.
I know it isn't a definitve benchmark, it was just a quick test!

As for benchmarks, I ried to compile pov from the spources (from 3.1)
under apple cc, I made several compiles using every possible combination
of optimizations, the result was that megapov still was an edge faster (
on skyvase). This is somehow strange, since pov from command line should
be advantaged.

I will render skyvase as soon as I have time.

bye
-ric-