POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : pov 3.5 : Re: pov 3.5 Server Time
18 May 2024 02:10:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov 3.5
From: WhiteGandalf
Date: 14 Jul 2002 13:52:56
Message: <20020714195121389+0200@news.povray.org>
> Turn off the freaking preview as the documentation tells you!  The Mac
> 3.5 version is significantly faster than any version ever out there
> unless you of course screw up your settings so much that you end up
> comparing Apples and Bananas...

yes, ideed. Sorry I didn't read the docs, but I was just eager to try
out the new version

So these are the timings. I made a little scene using area lights with
some new features and a sphere:

PoV 3.5
preview: 4 minutes
without: 18 sec
(dramatic increase)

MegaPov latest rev with with patches turned on (so to use the bnew
arealight as in PoV)
preview: 6 sec
without: 5 sec

so definitely preview is not something for the final render. But I quite
like the progress bat, it adds a "mac" look.

-ric

PS: in the preferences my version says it is a beta built 8 Jul with
timeout july 15 (which is tomorrow..) is this just an old thing or was
the official mirror from where I did download not updated???? maybe I'm
using a beta!