POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : povbench : Re: povbench Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povbench
From: Spider
Date: 1 Jul 2002 05:51:38
Message: <20020701114927.295a9ccb.spider@gentoo.org>
begin  quote
On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 10:01:17 +0200
Thomas Willhalm <tho### [at] uni-konstanzde> wrote:

> > also, since we're not using debugging here, it should be considered
> > to use-fomit-frame-pointer on gcc, thus freeing up another register,
> > not always desirable or noticeable in desktop applications, but this
> > is a "special case" so it should be ok :)
>
> Good points, at least the running time says so:
> Running time in seconds:
>
> gcc 2.95.3 7048s
> gcc 3.0.1  6574s
> gcc 3.1    5908s
> gcc 3.1    5749s (new options)
> icc 6      5699s

Hmm, Thats  an interesting change in runtime, still not down at icc's
level, which may not be possible either, but its definitely closing in
here :)

since both gcc 3.1 and ICC support Profile Guided Optimization, that
could be another interesting thing to do tests on, although this may
border on doing it merely to get the most possible instead of doing it
for the usability of it ;)

Heres an excerpt from our ebuild where we use icc pgo and normal icc,
I'm not editing this since the comments may be nice for others who
follow this thread, please note, this is not copyrighted by me, but
GPL'ed (cute isnt it) where the copyright is to Gentoo Technologies Inc.

if [ "`use icc`" ]; then
# ICC CFLAGS
echo "s/gcc/icc/" >> makefile.sed

# Should pull from /etc/make.conf
# If you have a P4 add -tpp7 after the -O3
# If you want lean/mean replace -axiMKW with -x? (see icc docs for -x)
# Note: -ipo breaks povray
# Note: -ip breaks povray on a P3
echo "s/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = -O3 -axiMKW /" >> makefile.sed
# This is optimized for my Pentium 2:
#echo "s/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = -O3 -xM -ip /" >> makefile.sed
# This is optimized for Pentium 3 (semi-untested, I don't own one):
#echo "s/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = -O3 -xK /" >> makefile.sed
# This is optimized for Pentium 4 (untested, I don't own one):
#echo "s/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = -O3 -xW -ip -tpp7 /" >> makefile.sed

if [ "`use icc-pgo`" ]; then
IPD=${BUILDDIR}/icc-pgo
echo "s:^CFLAGS =:CFLAGS = -prof_dir ${IPD} :" >> makefile.sed
if [ ! -d "${IPD}" ]; then
mkdir -m 777 -p ${IPD}
echo "s/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = -prof_gen /" >> makefile.sed
else
echo "s/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = -prof_use /" >> makefile.sed
fi
fi
else
# GCC CFLAGS
echo "s/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = -finline-functions -ffast-math /" >>
makefile.sed
echo "s/^CFLAGS =/CFLAGS = ${CFLAGS} /" >> makefile.sed
fi
sed -f makefile.sed makefile.orig > makefile

Well, this should be pretty much selfexplaining. BUILDIR is where the
data is stored and our compile time data as well.

this is re-edited as to not be wrapped too much in mail, but it still
needs checking for this.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)