POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Subsurface scattering with media : Re: Subsurface scattering with media Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface scattering with media
From: Greg Edwards
Date: 17 Jan 2003 22:09:45
Message: <1y1phdltt8hwg$.15534rh879s8h$.dlg@40tude.net>
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:47:52 -0500, Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <1qg778hvie6b9.1f5fm3o7pau3t$.dlg@40tude.net>,
>  Greg Edwards <edw### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>> Nope. Using photons created odd lines in the scene and broke the effect. I
>> think that POV's photons just deposit themselves in media but don't
>> actually scatter volumetrically.
>
> You are right that they don't scatter off the media, only illuminate it.
> But you need media photons enabled to get the media lit up by the
> photons. Otherwise, there is little reason to have them. Your problems
> sound like you didn't have enough photons. It sounds like things are
> slow enough as they are, though.
> What is your machine? My experiments on my 350MHz Power Mac were slow,
> but not that slow.

When I did my photons render, it DID get illuminated. I think I must have
exaggerated when I said "odd lines". The only problem was that the
subsurface scattering effect became diminished. I just thought it looked
nicer with photons disabled for this object (and render times were insane
(sorry, no numbers)). BTW, my system is a P3 866 and 256MB RAM running XP.