POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change : Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:13:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
From: Peter Popov
Date: 21 Mar 2000 19:41:36
Message: <1hXYOOGigZhtLjnb8ms1QVWiooct@4ax.com>
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:16:24 -0500, "JR McConnell" <sno### [at] homecom>
wrote:

>    I would approach this problem by creating a global variable, an optional
>arg to the command, or ini/inc file entry. So legacy POV programs
>using/requiring the older form of the variable data is unaffected. This
>would be because the default value will remain the original value. In
>addition, those wishing a different one can just add the optional arg, set
>the global, or make an ini/inc file entry.

The creators of POV-Ray, more precisely those responsible for the
#version directive, must have been thinking along the same lines :)

>    I do not know if this is a good idea or not. Nevertheless, hope it will
>help. There may be another way to do it that I, do to my lack of knowledge
>of POV, do not know...

As Tony suggested, making sure that #version 3.1; uses the old method
should suffice. I too hate to see them plateaus with height fields and
normals and would love to have them gone.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700