POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Intel Core Build? : Re: Intel Core Build? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:51:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Intel Core Build?
From: Yvo Smellenbergh
Date: 26 Jan 2006 11:34:52
Message: <1h9s7wp.1v9ohsj1vthl7aN%yvo.s@gmx.net>
Thomas A. Fine <fin### [at] head-cfaharvardedu> wrote:

> When can we expect a build of povray for the new Intel Macs?  Is it
> a simple matter to recompile on the new hardware, or are there changes
> needed to take advantage of Intel-specific features?
If there is someone with an Intel Mac and he/she is willing to give a
hand with testing, knows what patience is,....
I can try to build a Universal Binary for MegaPOV, but only for testing
purposes.
I don't own an Intel Mac so it is a bit hard to say how long it would
take.
My guess is that I'm at a point where turning on the switch is enough
;-)

And I'm convinced that MegaPOV on an Intel iMac will run (a little)
faster and better compared to a G5.

But like Thorsten said, just-in-time compiler for functions is missing
and you will notice this for those features that use it.
However, if you have an Intel base mac, a native version is always
faster :-)

Only time will tell and I will of course not go in an endless
discussion, because I can not verify it yet. ;-)

So, if you own an Intel Mac and are brave, send me an e-mail!

Yvo

--
MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net