POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Mac] memory pb + crash while quitting : [Mac] memory pb + crash while quitting Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  [Mac] memory pb + crash while quitting
From: Stéphane Nicolet
Date: 27 Feb 2002 06:49:18
Message: <1f89j8j.1pydwut1wmwwgyN%cassio@free.fr>
POV-Ray Mac 3.5 beta 11
RAM : 80Mb, 54Mb allocated to PovRay
System 9.1 (french)
CarbonLib 1.3.1

When I try PovRay 3.5.b11 with the following scene,
three things can happen :

1) If PovRay isn't allocated enough memory (say it
only has the default 14Mb), the scene wouldn't even
parse and the Mac freezes : the only way out is to
rebbot the Mac.

2) If PovRay is allocated enough memory (say 54 Mb),
the scene parses and renders OK but :

  a) if I try to quit (Command-Q) during parsing,
     PovRay crashes (error 2).

  b) if I try to quit (Command-Q) during rendering,
     Povray display a weird alert ("POV-Ray cannot
     run on a locked volume, or in a locked folder"),
     then quits to Finder.

Note that I have used the Galaxy include file by
Colefax to get a long parsing time and be able to
demonstrate point 2a). Point 2b) can be demonstrated
with only the starfield (that is, with only the camera
and the sphere in the scene).

Hope this helps,
Stephane.

//   this scene uses the Galaxy include file by Chris Colefax
//   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/galaxy.html

#include "stars.inc"

camera
  {
    location <-0.5, 11, -7>
    angle 45.6
    look_at <-0.5, 0, -1.27>
  }

sphere
  {
    <0, 0, 0>, 30000
    texture { Starfield5 scale 3000}
  }

// cut here to demonstrate point 2b) only.

#declare galaxy_colour_turb = 1.0;
#declare galaxy_seed = 4010;
#include "GALAXY.INC"

#declare galaxy_bgnebula = 4;