POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Escher's 'Cubic Space Division' [1000 KB DivX 5.0.5 400x400 Pixel] : Re: Escher's 'Cubic Space Division' [1000 KB DivX 5.0.5 400x400 Pixel] Server Time
19 Jul 2024 06:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Escher's 'Cubic Space Division' [1000 KB DivX 5.0.5 400x400 Pixel]
From: ABX
Date: 19 Nov 2003 14:35:03
Message: <1cgnrvo2ovmifsg3cqk3d991ji4vvgtt1m@4ax.com>
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:15:30 +0100, Erhard Ducke <duc### [at] gentlemansclubde>
wrote:
> > My case is resolution problem. I could see your work but in form of slideshow
> > rather than nice anim. But the way you posted is wrong in general, because of:
>
> Is there a faq available for the POV groups?

There is whole group about it.
http://news.povray.org/povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions/

> >  1. non-standard resolution
> CSD definitely has to be a square format...
> So I should have chosen 120, 240, 480 and so on?

You mean square area with animated image. Wide screens on 4:3 has black margin
above and below animated areas. Good encoder saves black areas without
increasing file size much.

> >  2. commercial not standarized codec
> The (co)dec is free

I browse web and this server from company. I use company machine, company net
and company time for it. I create animations for company. Can I use DivX in
company according to http://www.divx.com/divx/licensing/ ?

> More and more standalone players ...

Players support codecs installed on machines in standard way. And as it stated
in this thread Windowses by default does not support DivX. I recently upgraded
my home machine to XP and P4 and I _really_ wonder if I should install DivX
there. I want to create stable installation for next few years (I had previous
P2 on stable Win95 for six years) without presure to install every new release
of codecs.

> ... also support this format.

Yeah, and they come after ten years for payments like SUN did.

> >  3. platform limited container format
> There are Mac and Linux versions available...

I was reffering to ".AVI".

> In general it's OK for me to make mpegs when it is commonly used here
> and other formats make problems.

Great! Thanks in advance.

ABX