POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Peter Popov
Date: 6 Dec 2001 15:19:13
Message: <1c2v0uk7719n110feet9iaj91mrqdgifhg@4ax.com>
On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 20:01:56 GMT, ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo 'kENpEX'
Pesce) wrote:

>nowdays everything is modelled with nurbs, subdivision surfaces and polygons

Really?

Real modelling tools (not artistic, mind you, modelling) don't even
have a NURBS primitive? To name a few - Mechanical Desktop,
SolidWorks, CATIA, Pro/Engineer, Mathra... NURBS are the lowest common
denominator tool accessible to everyone and anyone.

Tell me, how many ways do you know of drawing a curve? I can mention
about ten and of those I've used only five. In Mathra there are over
two hundred (200)! Most of what is used now has been developed there
and consequently leaked out, most notably Bezier splines (or at least
a few types of them).

So from the point of view of what *could* be implemented, NURBS are
almost as primitive as point-clouds :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg