POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Balloon Trip (higher quality) : Re: WIP: Balloon Trip (higher quality) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:29:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: Balloon Trip (higher quality)
From: Greg Edwards
Date: 17 Feb 2003 19:44:41
Message: <1bu6m9t87dsi8.1calxuyeh3uqf$.dlg@40tude.net>
On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:59:55 EST, obj wrote:

> Greg Edwards wrote:
>>Some aspects are still lacking but this took a full week to render! The
>>water looks milky because of bad media settings but I don't think this will
>>interfere much in the rad load render. (dat's right, this WAS ONLY THE
>>SAVE!) I've really gotta cut back on these effects...
>>

> hi greg ...
>
> found your post via a search for balloon ...
> just beginning to try building one and how to go about it.
> any chance of sharing the isosurface portion of the code?
>
> thanks
> -obj-

Well the basics of it was to take a cylinder and add a sine wave about the
theta to it. All the troughs of the sine wave were inverted by taking the
absolute value (making 2 bumps per sine wave repeat). The rest was playing
with functions to get the width right and clipping with ordinary CSG.
Here's the function I used, and I might make the whole thing available if
people want it and I can manage to clean up the cancerously messy code
(1609 lines ATM).

#declare f_Balloon =
function
 {
  x*x+y*y*y-y*y+z*z-abs(sin(atan2(x,z)*12))*-(pow(((y*2.1)-1.1), 2)-1)*0.02
 }

Good luck! Just make sure to give me credit where you happen to use it, and
let me see your results! :-)