POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Thickness of Transparent Objecs / Index of Refraction : Re: Thickness of Transparent Objecs / Index of Refraction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thickness of Transparent Objecs / Index of Refraction
From: Peter Popov
Date: 23 Sep 1999 15:44:18
Message: <1VTqN4P4v3hy=r=I9ZwYlfD3xy=o@4ax.com>
On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 00:01:08 GMT, tim### [at] stratosnet (Takuya Arai)
wrote:

>Obviously POVRay will calculate the index of refraction of the light going in.
>I think you can change that too.  However, my question is, how does POVRay
>calculate the thickness?  If the rock is hollow in the middle then the light
>wouldn't bend as much when it shines through as it would if it was solid.
>Does POVRay assume it's a solid?  Is it dependent on something?  It's really
>not that big of a deal but I'd like to know more for the academic standpoint
>for now.

POV calculates refraction based on the laws of physics. When the ray
crosses the boundary between two media (in the real-world sense of it,
not the POV media feature!) with different IORs, it bends. So when it
enters a gem with a bubble, for example, it will bend upon entering
the gem, travel linearly through it and bend upon exitting the gem. If
it hits the bubble before it leaves the gem, it will bend, then when
it hits the gem it will bend again etc. Does this answer your
question?

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700