POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grime example : Re: Grime example (and a POV one) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 18:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grime example (and a POV one)
From: Daniel Matthews
Date: 1 Sep 2001 00:24:31
Message: <1920646.JoGBPyJhv8@3-e.net>
Bob H. wrote:

> It's as if the texture is shifted to the left, doesn't look right to me.

I was trying for a smeared on corroder and a buffed back corrosion effect.
But yes at that high resolution there are problems with a hand cooked map.
:o( Hence the need for a procedural approach.

There are actually a group of different grime effects and they are some
times combined. Some are;

Fallout.
Deposit
Splatter
Gas corrosion
Water mark
Drip and Flow
leach

and the related;

Buff and Polish
Scratch and Score
Dent and Ding
Chip
Peel

then there are controls like;

Lost Mask or Grime effect shadow
Directional effect

Can you think of any more?

I guess I can start on a library of ref. photos and some form of
classification system, while I wait for the new POV and I improve my POV
skills. If possible, doing this in pure POV code would be best?