POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : warp function test images (76k and 28k) : Re: warp function test images (76k and 28k) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: warp function test images (76k and 28k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Oct 2003 17:22:02
Message: <18q061-5lk.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
David Burnett wrote:

> I mean displacement in the renderman displacement shader sense which
> is what Roberto was asking about, hence in this case 'true
> displacement'.

Renderman (at least the PRMan implementation) is not a raytracer.

> A function (in this case a shader)
> applied to an object, sphere, mesh, plane etc which change its
> geometry.
>
> As I stated IMHO isosurfaces are not displacement as there is no
> original object expect the one created by the function. It doesn't
> matter what you do within that function what you get is still the
> 'original' object not a displaced one.
>
> Picky, oh yes.

No, it's simply wrong.  Isosurfaces are just a more general feature than
a displacement shader.  Displacement there is limited to mesh
geomentries since - as mentioned above - it has to work for a scanline
renderer.  You can model a shape as an isosurface function and then
displace it - just like with a shader.  The only difference is that with
isosurfaces you can also do much more.

Christoph

Last updated 2 Sep. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______