POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Diffuse Photon Casting : Re: Global-Illumination attempt Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Global-Illumination attempt
From: Greg Edwards
Date: 24 Feb 2003 17:54:29
Message: <18gl7076clzfg$.zut6plo7cfff.dlg@40tude.net>
On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:32:16 +0100, Tim Nikias wrote:

> Second pass on "all_phot.pov", scene-file in povray.text.scene-files
>
> First pass generates photons using specular reflection on all
> object (yup, all of em), second pass just loads the photons and
> uses diffuse textures (so no reflection there).
>
> Interesting effect, though not satisfying for global-illumination.
>
> My personal comment: stick to radiosity for global-illumination
> attempts.
>:-)
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Try shooting lots more photons on the first pass and making a severely
bumpy micro-normal. This might blur the reflections enough to get good
results. A little while ago I tried to do a similar trick using micro
normals to simulate pathtracing with just a really bright ambient object as
my light source. Never got anywhere... Nothing but black. But this looks
like a good idea. Maybe someone needs to make a patch. I'd give it a try if
I had the patience...