POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Camera position help : Re: Camera position help Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera position help
From: Pete
Date: 21 Feb 2001 21:28:57
Message: <1379.452T1456T11934533PeterC@nym.alias.net>
>Peter Popov wrote:
>>
>> I guess you mean direction y there. Keep in mind that the use of the
>> direction keyword is somewhat outdated. Use angle instead and forget
>> about direction at all.

>In order to place things so that they will always appear at a certain
>spot in front of the camera (subtitling, for instance), it is needful
>to calculate the up, right, direction, and location vectors, and the
>length of the direction vector as well.  Since I've already gone to
>this trouble, I simply use these vectors to declare the camera.

>Regards,
>John

John:

Funny you should mention that, I've been recently writing "overlay"
code, to have objects move and rotate along with the camera (sort
of a heads up display or bomb site overlay effect).  This would be
darn near impossible if I didn't use the direction/right/up method of
specifying a camera!

All:

umm, I hope I don't get flamed for this ... but ... I like using the
direction, right and up keywords, followed by a rotate & translate, to
position the camera.  It might be more difficult to learn to do things
this way (at first!), but I like it.  It is more flexible.  It is easier
in the long run.

Sometimes I get concerned that the Pov Team might be persuaded to
drop the direction keyword from future versions of POV Ray and that
would be a shame.  Please leave it in!  Pleeeeeeze?  It's *very*
handy!

Pete