POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Most convoluted scene of its kind? : Re: Most convoluted scene of its kind? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most convoluted scene of its kind?
From: povray
Date: 31 Oct 2004 10:50:03
Message: <132ao0lidlao226ugjc06jt99fj3pepa0g@4ax.com>
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:47:49 +0100, Andrew the Orchid <voi### [at] devnull>
wrote:

>OK, so check out the attachment. If any of you can figure out what it is
>without running it, I'll be impressed... heh!
>
>Pointless? Probably. Effective? Not really. Impressive? You decide.
>
>(Oh yeah - and the lighting sucks!)
>
>Andrew.

From looking at the code, I'll guess it reads the strings
with a hex-coded file (sort of like uuencode, binhex, or
mime) in them.  This is output as a "pseudo binary" file,
with each one or zero being written as asn ascii zero or
ascii one, separated by commas.  This is turn is read
back in and read through what looks like a fixed huffman
tree decompressor[1] which yeilds a file containing the
actual povray scene file.

Now I'm going to render it and see.  :)

Most impressive coding, regardless of what the final
scene ends up being.  Stuff like this makes me
wish pov-ray had actual "real" binary file I/O.

--
[1] I just happend to be reading up on data
compression recently,  nice synchronicity there,

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with