POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Platonic solids : Re: Platonic solids Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Platonic solids
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Jan 2002 18:13:51
Message: <1103_1011222959@selliot>
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:52:01 -0500, Christopher James Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:
> In article <3C435D07.A990D0EA@sw-tech.com>, Deaken <dwy### [at] sw-techcom>
> wrote:
>
> > I am an almost-decent Forth programmer.  I find the overlap between
> > factoring code in Forth nicely similar to building POV scenes out of
> > primitives.  I try to use Forth's "simplify as much as possible, and
> > remove everything that can be removed" strategy as often as I can.
>
> I've never seen any Forth code...what's it like?

Except for some minor syntax differences, like using FORMAT to print formated
output, instead of PRINT USING, .OR. instead of simple OR and similar things
the code in Forth appears to be very similar to that of QBASIC, which also allows
you to use line numbers only when you need them.

It probably is a lot better at doing math though, since the last time I tried to port
the code from one into a version of basic, the results where off by quite a bit. I
may have forgot to convert to radians or something though, so I can't be sure
and I am stopped fiddling with that code a while back. ;)

Some examples are at http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/pc_prod.shtml