POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Suspension Bridge (Sorenson 3) : Re: Suspension Bridge (Sorenson 3) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 11:39:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suspension Bridge (Sorenson 3)
From: Reusser
Date: 11 Jan 2003 10:16:58
Message: <110120030912259389%reu1000@chorus.net>
In article <3e2010ce@news.povray.org>, hughes, b.
<omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

> Galloping Gertie, I believe Greg was referring to. A suspension bridge in
> Tacoma, Washington, USA during the 1940's which waved in the wind until it
> broke apart.

Okay, that makes sense.  Chalk one up for resonance.  Wait, no.  I
didn't model a car, man, and *sniff* dog to be on it when it fell.  But
I did think of the Tacoma Narrows and wondered how I could have wind
blow across it (like a cloth with a face, wind vector, dot product),
but that would be pretty tricky without altering the source.  I was
also trying to think of a way to set a tolerance for each
connection--exceed the tolerance for stress and it disappears.  It
would make a lot more sense for it to break as it falls rather than
bend and distort to no end.  Just thoughts.

   -Ricky