POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : moonlight || wings3d : moonlight || wings3d Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  moonlight || wings3d
From: David Burnett
Date: 29 Aug 2002 13:04:12
Message: <1030644254@bigfoot.com>
ganymed <gan### [at] gmxnet> wrote...
>I have checked out some povray-modellers in the last days. The only one
>which run on my system (and are good) are moonlight atellier and wings3d.
>-which of them is more suitable for modelling (povray).
>-which do you prefer?
>-how active is the wings3d-project?

Wings3D is very active, Activity Percentile (last week): 98.6369%
according to sourceforge :-), where was a release last week, but we're
all disappointed that Bjorn has announced there would be no new releases
until September 8th, we're just spoiled really.

Bjorn the main developer is very active on the main Wings forum at

http://pub33.ezboard.com/bnendowingsmirai

as are all the other developers and a friendly bunch of Wings users.

I haven't played with moonlight atellier since it was moonlight creator
so I can't compare them, however from what I remember it was a more
complete modeller / scene layout application with support for a number
of POV primitives.

Wings3D is a straight subd modeller, for POV it creates mesh2 objects,
it isn't really geared towards scene layout but in the latest version
you can create and export lights, and pov export puts the camera in the
right place to recreate the view from Wings, so it can be used for
layout more or less.

Another thing in Wings favour are the plugins. The plugins are written
in erlang, along with the rest of Wings, plugins are cross platform by
default not requiring local compilation.

Dave
--
Posted By NewsBe 1.6.4
http://www.vargol.freeserve.co.uk/newsbe/