POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : format for documentation : Re: format for documentation Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: format for documentation
From: Glen Berry
Date: 24 Jan 2000 06:56:44
Message: <0zOMOBSTGO2avea5JeN478rhM04Q@4ax.com>
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:35:55 -0500, "Nathan Kopp" <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

>What would be the desired format for MegaPov documentation for Windows and
>Unix?

HTML would be good for me, except one person said that MS-Word's HTML
conversion tool doesn't work very well. I've seen similiar conversion
tools from other companies, and they didn't work very well either.

Is it too hard to write the docs in HTML to start with? This would
certainly solve cross-platform issues. I think there are even HTML
browsers for DOS users. HTML is probably the most portable option of
all.

I think it might also be nice to allow end-user modification of the
help file.  If the help file is in a modular HTML format, it would be
possible for the end-user to add some new pages, correct a typo on an
existing page, or make whatever personal notes they wanted. It would
become more of a personalized "workbook" in a sense. I can't do these
things to a PDF, PostScript, or Windows Help document.

As for the Word Processing formats you listed, I personally can read
and edit any of those, but I don't think they are very portable across
different platforms.

As for Windows users of MegaPov, it might be nice to simply launch a
Windows Help file, but I can easily live without this if it will be
too much work to create.