POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Island In The Evening : Re: Island In The Evening Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Island In The Evening
From: Kyle
Date: 26 Jul 2005 23:42:47
Message: <0qvde1hdej7frstsf2po5p77j0chp7tlmc@4ax.com>
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:03:30 -0400, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom>
wrote:

>Hi, I think it is an oddly attractive image but I can't put my finger on
>quite why.  The "atmosphere" is very pleasing, stemming I think from the
>dark silvery tones of the composition overall.  The style and execution
>has a naive, primitive quality rather than high photo-realism, which
>adds a lot of charm. Yet in subliminal ways, the picture feels very
>real. Mentally the viewer can enter it. I think this is much because of
>your pictorial economy of means. For instance, you use the sky and fog
>in a simple way to convey a lot of realism. The palms are a bit stylized
>but you use their bending silhouettes to great effect.  Having said all
>that, I find the moon to be a huge anomaly.
>
>So you see, it is a tricky picture to comment on. I am left unsure as to
>whether I have complimented you or offended you :( because it is not
>clear yet where you are trying to take the picture.  Not your fault,
>just "one of those things," and may in part explain the dirth of comments.
>
>-Jim

Thank you for your well-articulated observations.  This image came
about as I was learning different aspects of the POV-Ray scene
language, as follows:

Palm trees - various dynamic macros and meshes
Water, isosurface and material with interior
Land - isosurface with a texture that varies with its height (the land
is darker under the water)
Fog - well, fog
Moon - light groups, layered textures

So basically, I have never really had a particular direction that I
was going with this image.  It has always been kind of a playground
that I revisit from time-to-time and has just developed to this stage
by happenstance, including the very distracting moon.

I think I am going to work towards making the scene more
photorealistic.  It'll be a continuing challenge and should help me
learn more about lighting, textures, etc.

You have complimented me by taking the time to write your review.

Thank you,

Kyle