POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Ramblings of a Wannabee : Re: Ramblings of a Wannabee Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ramblings of a Wannabee
From: Peter Popov
Date: 17 May 2000 18:30:41
Message: <0m66iscpbohngldghl8raj1spo9boascuh@4ax.com>
On Wed, 17 May 2000 14:05:46 -0400, "Dean MacIsaac" <dmm### [at] fngpcom>
wrote:

>Can I make skin that will expand with the muscle model underneath?

I think dMesh focuses on just that, search the links on povray.org if
you haven't done so already.

>Can I make cloth that will have some properties of cloth?

Cloth can and has been successfully modelled in POV. Hugo Elias has a
very good explanation of the approach on his page (note the title :) )
http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias though his model was made in C
or C++.

>These aren't demands for improvement, these are my thoughts on using this
>system as long as possible.
>I am also learning C++ maybe these are things I could someday build into a
>plugin(s).

Basically any language you know could help by doing the calculations
and generating a data file POV could then read in, thus skipping the
slow parsing phase generally involved in creating physically accurate
models. Of course this is not always possible (for example for systems
which interract with the scene geometry) but it should suffice as a
start.

>I realize I'm going to have to go up to (only based on price and assumed
>abilities) 3ds or rhino, or lightwave, maybe even higher than that, but I'd
>like to think there was a way to hang on to the Mo / Pov ray team.

You can always use POV for rendering. It is the best raytracer around.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet