POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more : Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more
From: H  E  Day
Date: 5 Nov 2000 00:19:33
Message: <01c046e8$7b2122a0$777889d0@daysix>
Chris, Nathan, I've been thinking.  I will try and express some ideas here,
and if I am unclear, please, ask.
Here they are:

Motion Blur:
Currently there are only two ways to do MB with Pov.  Both are exceedingly
slow.  What I propose is to make the motion_blur a post-process function.
What I mean is this:  say you have an object.
object {
funkyspaceship
}
and you want to blur it - however it moves. K, do this.
object {
funkyspaceship
motionblur {1,1}
}
the first number is how much blur there is per second number (a povray
distance unit).
Anyway, when this is rendered out, the program does a alpha-map of only the
object you want to blur.  The program then uses the alphamap as a selection
and blurs the actual image accordingly.  What I'm thinking of is a radial
blur much like the one in Photoshop.  The program would comput where the
focal point of the blur needed to be, according to the direction of the
object in the scene.
This method certainly isn't perfect, but it would provide a fast, easy to
use MB for Pov-Ray users.

Per-Object Post-Processing:
Uses much the same methods as the MB.  For every object with a pp tag, a
alphamap is generated while the render progresses.  These are all saved the
the harddrive, not kept in memory.  Then these alphamaps are used to
determine what area of the image gets what effect. Then the alphas are
deleted. Pretty simple, eh?

My only question to you is:  Can you make this work? Is it even doable?
TIA!

--
H.E. Day
<><