POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Patina Idea!! : Patina Idea!! Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:14:17 EDT (-0400)
  Patina Idea!!
From: H  E  Day
Date: 5 Jun 2000 23:44:25
Message: <01bfcf69$29d98460$6a7889d0@daysix>
I was just surfing the web when I came up with an idea on how to do patina
and metal wear.  Here it is:
You know how the find_edges post process filter compares the differences in
normal surface angles?  How about we use this in a pigment? Sort of a
combination of Find_edges and slope?  I if an angle is getting sharper, you
could put a shiny line there, and if it is getting shallower, put a dark
line.  Hmm.  Didn't quite explain it as well as I'd like.  Once more:

_|  <--- this angle would have a darker (or user defined) color at the
vertex.
_
  | <--- This angle would have a lighter or user-defined color at the
vertex.

Perhaps you could apply a smoothing method of some sort to gradient the
line of color.  This strikes me as a extremely fast way to render patinas.
This would be a God-send to all those realistic modlers out there.  Nathan,
Chris, is this a possible thing to do?

--
H.E. Day
<><