POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povray crashes : Re: PovRay and GUI shell (was: povray crashes) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay and GUI shell (was: povray crashes)
From: Scott Hill
Date: 11 May 1998 11:22:27
Message: <01bd7cd9$28f479e0$8c00a8c0@shindo.ddlinks.co.uk>
Mathias Broxvall <mbr### [at] swipnetseNOSPAM> wrote in article
<1d8### [at] dialup150-2-39swipnetse>...
> Philippe Houdoin <phi### [at] ouest-francefr> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a welcomed next major version (4.0?) rewritten code will help
this
> > particular point.
>
> Another small problem is that (I read somewhere) povray version 4.0 will
> be written in C++ which makes it a little bit more difficult to make
> sharedlibraries of it on some plattforms. The reason for this is that
> there is no widely addopted standard for how the name mangling should
> be performed. Ie my MrC compiler and my Codewarrior compiler creates
> different symbols (for the linker) for the same function. I would expect
> this to be a problem also on other plattforms. Am I right?
> I know that this is easy to overcome (Mix C and C++), but in a portable
> way?

	Yeah, it easy, you just write the public interfaces in C, rather than C++,
then name mangling doesn't matter as all the mangled names are kept within
the library.

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.