POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povray crashes : Re: PovRay and GUI shell (was: povray crashes) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay and GUI shell (was: povray crashes)
From: Scott Hill
Date: 8 May 1998 10:57:27
Message: <01bd7a91$5aeefbe0$8c00a8c0@shindo.ddlinks.co.uk>
Philippe Houdoin <phi### [at] ouest-francefr> wrote in article
<6iuebt$hho$1@oz.aussie.org>...
> Nieminen Mika wrote in message <6isnom$f7d$2@oz.aussie.org>...
> >Mark Arrasmith (arr### [at] mathtwsuedu) wrote:
> >: Also, is there any plan to make POVRay cross platform with its GUI?
> >
> >  As long as there is always a little command line version available!
> >  I don't want guis growing the file size where it's not necessary.
>

> IMHO, PovRay should be cut in two parts :
>
> -  A highly portable PovRay Engine (PRE) :
> When possible (most plateforms), it would be a DLL / Shared Library. On
> others, static library.
> - PovRay Shell(s), calling the PRE APIs :
> An obvious and portable one (except for MacOS!?) is a little command line
> shell. Any PovRay distribution should (and already) include this shell
(even
> if a GUI shell exist).
> More sophisticated shells could be with GUI, like the Windows or MacOS
> today's one.

	From what I've seen, I believe the Windows version of 3.1 will be like
this ! I can't confirm this, as I don't have CompuServe access, but, if
it's true, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.