POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac? : Re: Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac?
From: Martin Crisp
Date: 23 Dec 2002 07:33:12
Message: <0001HW.BA2D4DB700119C0004AF8FF0@news.povray.org>

(in message <1fnn944.1lvwmom1f70r48N%cassio@free.fr>):

> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>
>>> 4 machines, 4 identical slowdowns.
>>
>> No, that just does not make sense.  And as you have noticed, nobody else is
>> having such a problem.  Maybe you have a corrupted download or something
>> like that.  Or you got a virus that attached itself to POV-Ray and thus you
>> copied it each time.  What you report does not even make sense :-(
>> Thorsten
>

> Thorsten,
>
> I can't believe you call him mad ! If you start insulting everybody

I can, and I don't hold it against him. If it works on Thorsten's
machine (and presumably others) then that's great. It _is_
difficult writing code and then debugging it long distance,
particularly if you can't reproduce the bug (and I shudder at the
thought of doing it for a raytracer - and that's after reading
Principles of Computer Graphics :-)). [Thorsten: remember that
weird 'is it pov or is it the mac' bug to do with CDs and macros in
3.0?] I write code for a living (not as close to the metal as C or
C++, however), and have to support users who don't read
instructions, don't listen (and can't in one guy's case...), and so
on. Thinking an individual user is mistaken is an easy, and
foregiveable, trap to fall into.

> that is reporting a bug, then we're not finished yet. Pov-Ray 3.5
> still has problems on Mac OS 9, and I suppose you know it. It seems
> to me that you, as everybody else in this newsgroup, should rather
> thank Martin for the time he spends trying to make things advance.
>
> Btw, what does internal error -10000 means ? I got it several times
> this morning after switching to preemptive threading as you suggested
> and experiencing slowdowns similar to Martin's symptoms...

Likewise, quitting when a render was partway through, and PT was
on. [After seeing the render progress dialog progress... I'm in
love ;-)]

> See this link for a screenshot :
>
> http://cassio.free.fr/divers/Screen_error.png
>
> I could fill a more fromal bug report if that helps.

Have Fun
Martin
--
a logician telling a computer programmer about logic, is like a cat
telling a fish about being wet.

Almost always SMASHed