POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac? : Re: Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac? Server Time
18 May 2024 07:49:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac?
From: Martin Crisp
Date: 22 Dec 2002 10:00:40
Message: <0001HW.BA2C1EC30021F9EF0E28E1D0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 1:18:32 +1100, Yvo Smellenbergh wrote
(in message <1fnlm8j.1ve5dhx1kfrl2aN%yvos.s@gmx.net>):

> Martin Crisp <Spa### [at] tesseractcomau> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> Abyss.pov renders at the speed I'd expect for 30 seconds, then
>> slows drastically - in the first 30 seconds it maybe manages 45
>> scanlines, in the next 15 minutes it manages about 15 scanlines.
> Hmm, always after 30 secons you say...
> This looks like a setting in the energy saver control panel.

Nope. Set to sleep the monitor after <checks> something a little
more than 20 minutes. [I've been tooling around with a genetic
algorithm I've written, so I don't sleep the CPU.]

> I don't have that option on my dual but on my iMac it was there.
> You should try this: once POV start to render slow, simply move the
> mouse a little bit.
> If rendering speeds up again, you should go an take a look at the energy
> savings panel.

Nope. I've been keeping an eye on the machine, and stopping the
monitor from sleeping, but that made no difference. Every minute
the preview and the clock would update, and if there'd been a
keypress or mouseclick in the meantime then it would be effected
then.

> I don't now the correct name but look for something to slow down the
> cpu.

Energy Saver is the only thing, and it's set way beyond 30 seconds.

Thanks for the thought though.

Have Fun
Martin
--