POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac? : Re: Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac? Server Time
18 May 2024 05:04:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any news on an update to 3.5 for Mac?
From: Martin Crisp
Date: 22 Dec 2002 06:29:33
Message: <0001HW.BA2BED48001659E70D78DFC0@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:50:48 +1100, Thorsten Froehlich wrote
(in message <3e059908$1@news.povray.org>):

> In article <0001HW.BA2B9D9300039FDC0F42B1F0@news.povray.org> , Martin Crisp
> <Spa### [at] tesseractcomau>  wrote:
>
>> Maybe another question should be asked first:
>> is anyone not having lockups/slowdowns under 9.2.2?
>
> POV-Ray is developed under Mac OS 9.2.2 so if it would lockup everywhere I
> could not develop it, could I?

OK. I wasn't aware of what systems were in use for development.

As my bug report noted - the behaviour I'm describing occurs
whether I boot with my (few) 3rd party extensions, or with the Base
9.2.2 set. I can install a fresh system on an empty partition...
I'll let you know how that goes. Failing that, and given the
similarity with symtoms that others have reported, what's weird
about _your_ system?

> I saw your bugreport you submitted, and from that I saw that only the render
> commands are "slow" for you in a particular slow to render and complex scene
> (abyss.pov).  What happens is that it takes until a line has completed to
> render until rendering is stopped.  That is why it appears slow for you...

Nope. I've taken that into account.

Abyss.pov renders at the speed I'd expect for 30 seconds, then
slows drastically - in the first 30 seconds it maybe manages 45
scanlines, in the next 15 minutes it manages about 15 scanlines.

The other file I've tried (referred to in the bugreport) can
complete (just) in 30 seconds with some rendering options (no
anti-aliasing, 320 x 240). If I turn anti-aliasing on (original,
0.3, 2, 0.1) then it also falis to complete, getting about 3/4 of
the way through the render at normal speed (30 seconds), then
slowing down.

Consistently: 28-30 seconds after the preview window is displayed,
my machine goes into near catalepsy - screen updates happen once
every 60 seconds thereafter.

Subject: 7Facets.pov - a very simple scene
in povray.binaries.scene-files

> If you really want, you can force the rendering into the background using
> this hidden option:
>
> You can control if preemptive threading or cooperative threading is used.
> By default cooperative threading will be used.  In order to change this
> setting go the the POV-Ray preferences dialog.  Switch to the Editor pane.
> Now hold down the "option" key* and switch back to the General pane.  Now
> you should see another checkbox:  The checkbox for preemptive threading
> which will only take effect after you restart POV-Ray!

I'll see what difference it makes. Thanks.

> While it won't make the rendering faster (unless you have a dual G4), it
> will make the whole GUI react immediately as rendering takes place in the
> background.  The only catch is that parsing will be a tiny bit slower.

It's not the GUI that's annoying me, other than it's change in
behaviour indicates other things going awry.

Have Fun
Martin
--
Kinky: