POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Is an AOI function possible? : Re: Is an AOI function possible? Server Time
3 May 2024 08:55:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is an AOI function possible?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Apr 2024 14:50:38
Message: <661c257e$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/13/24 13:18, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> Is it possible to vary a texture by AOI according to a function, rather
> than by a texture list?  I don't see anything in the aoi syntax diagrams
> that allows this, but it would be nice to know if I missed something.

The 'texture list' wording confuses me. Did you mean texture map?

I believe the short answer is no and that you see the situation correctly.

Bill P.

---
A longer answer is that you can get past the parser's checks which
prevent the usual direct pattern{} wrap of the aoi pattern.

The parser prevents:

//  #declare Fn02 = function { pattern { aoi } }  // Illegal

The following or, a similar non-yuqk form of it for official POV-Ray,
slips by the parser checks and runs:

     #declare Pg03 = pigment {
         aoi function_interval
         color_map { [-1 color 0] [+1 color +1] }
     }
     #declare Fn03 = function {
         pigment {
             pigment_pattern { Pg03 }
         }
     }
     #declare Pg99 = pigment { function { Fn03(x,y,z).red } }

However, it does no good because the ray and perturbed normals are not
available via the function route - and so a 0.0 value is always returned
(.red is always 0.5 above).

FWIW. It is on the yuqk fork's todo list to implement an 'information'
pattern which, rather than being a true scalar value pattern, will
return 21 bit float encoded, 3 component vectors for things like ray
direction, raw and perturbed normals. With this information you'd be
able to build up user 'aoi' functions of your own for surfaces.

The yuqk fork today has an inbuilt f_normal() function which can be
employed to determine the raw normal in a value field in a way matching
that done for isosurfaces. So in limited situations where you might know
the ray direction (orthographic camera, parallel light rays, ...) and
have well behaved isosurface shapes or pattern value fields (media), you
might be able to implement certain 'aoi' like functions today in the
yuqk fork.

There is the slope pattern which might help depending on what you want
to do, but it too has function usage constraints.