POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Film exposure simulation patch : Re: Film exposure simulation patch Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Film exposure simulation patch
From: Glen Berry
Date: 13 Nov 2002 06:17:20
Message: <=C3SPZK1ffb48H+KgDWgeX24BUBO@4ax.com>
On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 18:04:49 +0200, Kari Kivisalo
<pro### [at] luxlabcom> wrote:

This looks VERY promising. I've been wanting POV to include dynamic
range processing for a long time.

I think you might have made a strategic error in naming it a "film
exposure simulation", because film simulation is not the only
potential use for this sort of patch. In my opinion, "human vision
simulation" also needs something like this. In the past, I have tried
to model my own bedroom, which includes light sources in the scene. No
matter how I adjusted POV's lighting and gamma settings, there were
always unnatural looking hot spots on the white walls and ceiling,
near the light sources. Of course I could render a scene dark enough
to avoid the hot spots, but the rest of the scene looks far too dark.
A patch such as yours might finally allow me to properly render a good
representation of my room.

As far as film simulation goes, are you also modeling the "toe" of the
film response curve? This is the non-linear portion of the curve that
corresponds with shadow tones. There is something of a gentle
threshold that must be exceeded before any detail is recorded in the
shadow areas. Another way of phrasing this, is to say that the shadow
areas would also be compressed in dynamic range, in the rendered
image.

If anyone builds a windows binary of this patch, please let me know.
I'd love to try this patch out, but don't have a compiler handy.

later,
Glen

Later,
Glen

7no### [at] ezwvcom     (Remove the numeral "7")