POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Re: Crash when using function & pigment : Re: Crash when using function & pigment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash when using function & pigment
From: Mike Williams
Date: 5 Dec 2001 02:48:38
Message: <$2O4iCA$DdD8Ewki@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it David Fontaine who wrote:
>I looked back a ways and found "Unconfirmed Bugs 2 Dec 2001" but did not
>see this bug.  I know there have been some problems with functions, and
>working on my latest scene I got something that crashes both compiles,
>hopefully it can help.
>
>Windows 98 SE
>Athlon 1.4GHz
>512Mb DDR
>
>If you change Fade from a function to a texture, comment out the
>"#declare Foo = " block, and change the texture of the sphere from Foo
>to Fade, it doesn't crash.  Having the camera and light statements does
>not affect the crashing, and Foo must actually be used on an object to
>crash the render.

This is the same as the known bug

problem with normals/functions: crash!
(if an isosurface is the first function parsed, then things go horribly
wrong)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.16724448f4beb4ad9896c3@news.povray.org

Workround: add "#declare fred=function{0}" at the top of your scene
file.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure