POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface doodle : Isosurface doodle Server Time
3 May 2024 21:32:53 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface doodle
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Jul 2016 12:25:02
Message: <web.578a5fb98b356715e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Nothing really original here, but decided to post this here [with (yet another)
question] since I always like to discover new and beautiful things in the image
digest.

Isosurface equation modified for use in SDL from:
http://www.aleph.se/Nada/Ray/matlabobj.html

which references:
http://www.msri.org/publications/sgp/SGP/indexc.html

This took 43 min on my laptop.   I looked it over, and thought that maybe I
could approximate it with blobs - but I need a 3D matrix of points - probably
like the coordinates of the carbons in a diamond crystal.

My question here is:

Is there a good way to "get" such a matrix of 3D points from patterns in
POV-Ray?  I don't quite understand how the infinite patterns for pigments are
generated, stored, and used internally.
It would be nice to be able to generate an array that was composed of points
inside of a contained_by{} box by somehow sampling that space and storing any
value that's 0, 1, 0.5 - whatever it would be.

I still don't even understand how crackle is generated - Voronoi / Delaunay -
yeah, yeah - the details still stump me, so this is probably a poorly formulated
question, but hopefully someone gets the gist of it and can offer some
inspiration, pseudo-code, links, or .pov files as a starting point   :)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'isosurfacenetwork.png' (2288 KB)

Preview of image 'isosurfacenetwork.png'
isosurfacenetwork.png