POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Compile error during Megapov XRS server make : Re: Compile error during Megapov XRS server make Server Time
2 May 2024 08:51:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compile error during Megapov XRS server make
From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 28 Nov 2006 17:00:00
Message: <web.456cb049e1423b92c0bad8570@news.povray.org>
"Peter Raeth" <pet### [at] junocom> wrote:
> Was able to get povray, megapov, and megapov_xrs installed on cygwin. Was
> also able to verify correct operation for povray and megapov.
>
> Megapov_xrs_server starts up ok and starts listening.
>
> Megapov_xrs_client terminates with the following error:
>
> ==============
> $ python pyxrsclient.py +Iwoodbox.pov +V +W800 +H600 +Owoodbox.png
> +L/cygdrive/c/program_files/cygwin/tmp/povray-3.6.1/include
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "pyxrsclient.py", line 55, in ?
>     import gtk
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 37,
> in ?
>     from _gtk import *
> RuntimeError: could not open display
> ===============

Hi Peter,

   Try running "startxwin.bat" in the cygwin prompt first. It should open an
xterm window that looks different than the normal cygwin window. Try running
pyxrsclient in that shell window instead.

   I may have left that out of the instructions. Sorry 'bout that. Note that
your +o will be ignored by the client.

   Also, you don't need cygwin to run pyxrsclient. It should work
just fine with the Windows version of Python (use IDLE or Pythonwin). For
this, you'd need to have PyGTK installed into the Windows Python directory.
See the MegaPOV XRS site for links to all the dependencies.

   I'm real happy to hear how MegaPOV (will shortly) be helping you. Thanks!
I'm curious how would one use a rendering program to help calibrate
atmospheric sensors.

Rock on,
George

Warp-speed renders with MegaPOV XRS: