POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : drive cables - not necessarily Windows Server Time
18 May 2024 19:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  drive cables - not necessarily Windows (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: tom
Subject: drive cables - not necessarily Windows
Date: 16 Sep 2005 01:00:00
Message: <web.432a511432d4524d997c77c30@news.povray.org>
This is likely a misplaced question, but is there a difference between SCSI
cable connexions and IDE connexions? I've searched and found lots of other
technical info, but not what I'm looking for. I've got this (SCSI?) card
that doesn't quite fit the cables for the IDE drives. I don't know if it's
just been packed away a long time and shiny from never being used, or ....

Post a reply to this message

> This is likely a misplaced question, but is there a difference between SCSI
> cable connexions and IDE connexions? I've searched and found lots of other
> technical info, but not what I'm looking for. I've got this (SCSI?) card
> that doesn't quite fit the cables for the IDE drives. I don't know if it's
> just been packed away a long time and shiny from never being used, or ....

They are completely different. Don' try to connect one to the other, a
Really Bad Thing TM is waiting to happen...

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 16 Sep 2005 18:42:42
Message: <432b4a62$1@news.povray.org>
tom nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-09-16 00:59:
> This is likely a misplaced question, but is there a difference between SCSI
> cable connexions and IDE connexions? I've searched and found lots of other
> technical info, but not what I'm looking for. I've got this (SCSI?) card
> that doesn't quite fit the cables for the IDE drives. I don't know if it's
> just been packed away a long time and shiny from never being used, or ....

Do you want to fry one or both? They are *NOT* compatible, keep IDE cable for IDE
controler to IDE
devices and SCSI cables SCSI controler to SCSI devices. Also, *DON'T* ever try to
connect SCSI in a
parallel interface, even if the plug does fit!!! You don't want that strange smoke and
acrid smell
of burnt electronic.
IDE is a standers and SCSI is another different and incompatible one.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Jonathan
Date: 12 Jan 2006 19:06:35
Message: <43c6ef0b@news.povray.org>
As said IDE and SCSI are two different balls of wax, if you have a IDE drive
and cable already and you don't have a spare IDE on your motherboard, stop
by your local computer store and buy a $20 IDE interface card. Finding a
SCSI drive and cable to match the SCSI card can get expensive if you buy-em
new. Make sure to check to see if your motherboard is PCI, ISA, MCA, etc
Typically Pentium (and equivilants) and higher have PCI, 486's can have
both, 386's have ISA. PS/2's (computer, not game console) will have MCA. I
doubt you'll see EISA.

Jonathan
red### [at] redmasqcom