POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve= Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:33:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve= (Message 1 to 10 of 30)
From: Tom Galvin
Subject: Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve=
Date: 27 Feb 2003 14:58:39
Message: <Xns932F98273453tomatimporg@204.213.191.226>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in

> In article <web.3e5e38438feffecd4a47b6380@news.povray.org> , "Brian"
> <brl### [at] smcmedu> wrote:
>
>> I am writing an program that generates POV files, then I want a
>> seperate thread to call POV-ray to render the files.  The problem is,
>> when I call POV-ray from the program with the right command line
>> parameters, it loads the splash screen and the text editor with the
>> file I want rendered open waiting for the user.  Is there a way of
>> calling POV-ray where is just pops up to render the file, or even
>> just renders the file in the background, and saves output to a file?
>
> This is the wrong group to ask this question.  I assume you are
> talking about the Windows version, and for that it has been explained
> several times in the past few month in povray.windows.  Just go
> through the list of posts there.
>
>     Thorsten

This has become a frequent request. There have been several custom
compliles of a console mode version for windows, and at least one gui
extension.  Would the team consider providing a official console mode
version with the next bugfix release?  Follow ups set to povray.windows

Thanks
Tom

Post a reply to this message

You could also install cygwin and use Christoph Hormann's povcyg.

George

"Tom Galvin" <tom### [at] imporg> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
> "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in
>
> > In article <web.3e5e38438feffecd4a47b6380@news.povray.org> , "Brian"
> > <brl### [at] smcmedu> wrote:
> >
> >> I am writing an program that generates POV files, then I want a
> >> seperate thread to call POV-ray to render the files.  The problem is,
> >> when I call POV-ray from the program with the right command line
> >> parameters, it loads the splash screen and the text editor with the
> >> file I want rendered open waiting for the user.  Is there a way of
> >> calling POV-ray where is just pops up to render the file, or even
> >> just renders the file in the background, and saves output to a file?
> >
> > This is the wrong group to ask this question.  I assume you are
> > talking about the Windows version, and for that it has been explained
> > several times in the past few month in povray.windows.  Just go
> > through the list of posts there.
> >
> >     Thorsten
> >

> This has become a frequent request. There have been several custom
> compliles of a console mode version for windows, and at least one gui
> extension.  Would the team consider providing a official console mode
> version with the next bugfix release?  Follow ups set to povray.windows
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Post a reply to this message

> This has become a frequent request. There have been several custom
> compliles of a console mode version for windows, and at least one gui
> extension.  Would the team consider providing a official console mode
> version with the next bugfix release?  Follow ups set to povray.windows

There is a windows console version available on my site:

http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/povcyg/index.html

This should run straight away on any 32 bit Windows system.  It of course
requires the user to know how to invoke POV-Ray at the command line but
that's a different problem... ;-).

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message