POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry? Server Time
17 May 2024 18:45:27 EDT (-0400)
  pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry? (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: pvengine.ini now integrated into the registry?
Date: 25 Feb 2008 18:48:42
Message: <MPG.222d019d96d3523598a10b@news.povray.org>
In article <47c232de$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > Why bow to MS' broken system,
>
> MS doesn't want you to bow to MS's broken system. That's why there's
> both ...\local data\application settings and ...\application settings,
> depending on whether it's machine-local or not.
>
> > Recreating "one" file specific to the program
> > yours using, is manageable, not recreating one huge file that used to

> > contain stuff for 50 some odd programs.
>
> Me, I've never seen why this is more of a problem than (say)
> accidentally deleting /etc. But still, moving configuration into the
> registry at *this* point is still a generation behind.

Well, strictly its probably not. Though if you want to restore the
files, deleting them means you still *can*, while something that mangles
the registry is most likely to be "fixed" during start up, when the odds
of things being overwritten is high, and any glitch is going to be
permanent. I.e., by the time you realize that you need to fix 50 files
worth of data you can't fix it.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Chris Cason
Date: 27 Feb 2008 05:38:29
Message: <47c53da5$1@news.povray.org>
Jeff Houck wrote:
> In the latest Beta 3.7.beta25 change log, it mentions the pvengine.ini
> file is now integrated into the Windows registry. I'm curious as to why
> this was done? The editor I can understand due to it's tight integration
> with the Windows GUI manager. But why the pvengine.ini? Thx.

It's an attempt to solve vista issues. Note that I do not own a copy of
vista myself and don't want to spend ages mucking around with a 'does this
help?', 'does that help?' sort of thing.

If enough folk care about it I'll allow the import/export of INI file
settings or something (all the code for reading the INI file is still there
so as to allow option importation, exporting is also still trivial).

The fact is that the vast bulk of Windows programs store their settings in
the registry, this is clearly what Microsoft want them to do, and I really
don't have the time or energy to fight Vista [or whatever they come up with
next] issues, especially when I don't have a copy of it (and nor am I
inclined to throw away money buying what is clearly still considered by
most as a downgrade to XP).

Note that only the windows-specific settings have been moved to the
registry. All standard POV-Ray ini file operations have been retained.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 27 Feb 2008 05:51:45
Message: <47c540c1@news.povray.org>
> It's an attempt to solve vista issues.

  Is the problem that a program cannot write anything in its own
installation directory anymore in Vista? Having to program for Windows
I have encountered this problem.

  The "right" solution for Vista-compatible programs is to write things
in a subdirectory inside the user settings directory. If I'm not mistaken,
there's an API function which returns this directory. (I don't really know
because the library I'm using does this for me. I can check how it does it
if you want, as I have access to the source code of said library.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 27 Feb 2008 06:57:20
Message: <47c55020$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Chris Cason <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:
>> It's an attempt to solve vista issues.
>
>   Is the problem that a program cannot write anything in its own
> installation directory anymore in Vista? Having to program for Windows
> I have encountered this problem.

I honestly don't know the full cause, I've not seen the problem myself. I
do know that the commonly-suggested solution is to migrate legacy setting
files to the registry, so that's been my approach. If that solves things,
then I'm quite happy to attempt to "back up", as it were, and see where
things start to break again. (In other words, I'd rather solve it sooner
than later, which gives me the leeway to start experimenting with what
Vista will allow without having to be concerned that Vista users still
can't use the program).

>   The "right" solution for Vista-compatible programs is to write things
> in a subdirectory inside the user settings directory. If I'm not mistaken,
> there's an API function which returns this directory. (I don't really know
> because the library I'm using does this for me. I can check how it does it
> if you want, as I have access to the source code of said library.)

Thanks, no need - I already do this. The tools INI file is already expected
to be in the new location <userdir>\Application Data\POV-Ray for Windows.
Later on, the include files and other renderer files such as INI files will
move there too. (I will allow for the include files to be in both places,
but the installer will set up a local set in case the user wants to edit them).

There's some installer-related work to be done here to get things right for
new users who use POV-Ray on a system for the first time after the program
is already installed (basically a sub-installer process will need to run
and set up the required files for them in their profile automatically).

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 27 Feb 2008 07:03:39
Message: <47c5519b@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> and in the case of the client I mentioned, there is some bizarre bug
> which causes the client to forget what the window sizes are, if you have
> more than one open at a time. And that is not even mentioning stuff like

Well that's not going to be a registry problem - it's likely a coding
error. The registry is neither good nor evil in my opinion, it's just the
way Microsoft wants things done now and I'm a little too tired to want to
argue :(

I did make the registry settings a more or less exact clone of the
pvengine.ini ones (i.e. the names etc). The net result of this is that the
code that stores and retrieves the settings can be easily made agnostic as
to where they come from/go to. With a few tweaks I could probably make it
support both (at user option). The API is the same as I abstract the calls
to the registry functions/INI functions behind a wrapper.

Note in case it's not absolutely clear to others reading this thread: the
settings being discussed are windows-specific for the UI portion of the
POVWIN program. They are not the base POV-Ray settings, which remain in INI
files as always.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: stevenvh
Date: 13 Apr 2008 09:15:01
Message: <web.4802073bf99d2b765245d3740@news.povray.org>
> Jeff Houck wrote:
> > In the latest Beta 3.7.beta25 change log, it mentions the pvengine.ini
> > file is now integrated into the Windows registry. I'm curious as to why
> > this was done? The editor I can understand due to it's tight integration
> > with the Windows GUI manager. But why the pvengine.ini? Thx.
>
> Vista compatibility :-(
>
>  Thorsten, POV-Team

What do you mean, that under Vista an application can't read/write its own files
any more?
While I used the registry in the past, at the moment I'd go for an ini-file in
XML format. Allows to go tree-structured if necessary.

Steven

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 13 Apr 2008 09:32:13
Message: <48020b5d@news.povray.org>
stevenvh <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> What do you mean, that under Vista an application can't read/write its own files
> any more?

  Read yes, write no, at least not by default.

  There were some other problems as well, AFAIK.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 14 Apr 2008 17:57:41
Message: <4803d355$1@news.povray.org>
en ce 2008/04/13 09:14 :)   ->
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>> Jeff Houck wrote:
>>> In the latest Beta 3.7.beta25 change log, it mentions the pvengine.ini
>>> file is now integrated into the Windows registry. I'm curious as to why
>>> this was done? The editor I can understand due to it's tight integration
>>> with the Windows GUI manager. But why the pvengine.ini? Thx.
>> Vista compatibility :-(
>>
>>  Thorsten, POV-Team
>
> What do you mean, that under Vista an application can't read/write its own files
> any more?
> While I used the registry in the past, at the moment I'd go for an ini-file in
> XML format. Allows to go tree-structured if necessary.
>
> Steven

No application, exept for installers, can write an *.INI file to the programm
files folder. This also apply to some other sencible extentions.
*.POV and *.INC, as well as graphical files are not recognized as sencible
files, and thus you are allowed to write those.

--
Alain
Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 14 Apr 2008 18:02:45
Message: <4803d485$1@news.povray.org>

> While I used the registry in the past, at the moment I'd go for an ini-file in
> XML format. Allows to go tree-structured if necessary.

XML is way overrated.

Post a reply to this message

From: Charles C
Date: 27 Oct 2009 01:20:07
Message: <web.4ae682c5f99d2b76cac4259f0@news.povray.org>

> I did make the registry settings a more or less exact clone of the
> pvengine.ini ones (i.e. the names etc). The net result of this is that the
> code that stores and retrieves the settings can be easily made agnostic as
> to where they come from/go to. With a few tweaks I could probably make it
> support both (at user option). The API is the same as I abstract the calls
> to the registry functions/INI functions behind a wrapper.
>
> Note in case it's not absolutely clear to others reading this thread: the
> settings being discussed are windows-specific for the UI portion of the
> POVWIN program. They are not the base POV-Ray settings, which remain in INI
> files as always.

Is this still possible? :)  I think this might enable a user to more easily
tweak an installation.
Charles