POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : mesh data extraction patch Server Time: 28 Mar 2017 10:10:58 GMT
  mesh data extraction patch (Message 1 to 9 of 9)  
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 6 Mar 2016 09:56:08
Message: <56dbfeb8$1@news.povray.org>
During my current cave experiments, I thought it would be useful to have
access to mesh data, to more effectively place things on the mesh
surface. Using trace() against the mesh works, but it's not very
efficient when the mesh geometry is somewhat complex.

So I searched to see if someone ever made a patch to access mesh data,
in a way that could allow to loop over the triangles, and found that
Warp had a tentative patch for this:

http://news.povray.org/povray.unofficial.patches/thread/%3CXns900D79CAEseed7%40povray.org%3E/

I don't know if he ever actually created such a patch or was only
exposing the idea, but I think something exactly like that would be
terrifically useful.

So, my question is, would it be too hard to implement?


P.S.: Yes, Clipka, that's a covert feature request... ;)

--
jaime


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 6 Mar 2016 10:20:47
Message: <56dc047f@news.povray.org>
Le 06/03/2016 10:56, Jaime Vives Piqueres a écrit :
> During my current cave experiments, I thought it would be useful to have
> access to mesh data, to more effectively place things on the mesh
> surface. Using trace() against the mesh works, but it's not very
> efficient when the mesh geometry is somewhat complex.
> 
> So I searched to see if someone ever made a patch to access mesh data,
> in a way that could allow to loop over the triangles, and found that
> Warp had a tentative patch for this:
> 
>
http://news.povray.org/povray.unofficial.patches/thread/%3CXns900D79CAEseed7%40povray.org%3E/
> 
> I don't know if he ever actually created such a patch or was only
> exposing the idea, but I think something exactly like that would be
> terrifically useful.
> 
> So, my question is, would it be too hard to implement?

It was done in megapov, and it's currently also in hg-povray.

http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'meshsdl.pov.txt' (2 KB)
Download 'meshsdl.png' (31 KB)

Preview of image 'meshsdl.png'
meshsdl.png


 

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: Re: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 6 Mar 2016 10:35:19
Message: <56dc07e7@news.povray.org>
El 06/03/16 a las 11:20, Le_Forgeron escribió:
> It was done in megapov,

   Megapov was amazing... and underused, I see, at least on my side. I
don't know how I missed that feature back then.

> and it's currently also in hg-povray.

   Thats great! I will try it... should have some real-world uses for it,
apart from "rockyfying" my cave.

--
jaime


Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: Re: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 6 Mar 2016 20:16:39
Message: <56dc9027$1@news.povray.org>
El 06/03/16 a las 11:20, Le_Forgeron escribió:
> It was done in megapov, and it's currently also in hg-povray.

   Cannot compile hg-povray... I get a bunch of boost errors (undefined
references): are the libraries requirements different from povray
master? I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, and can compile povray master and uberpov
without problems.

--
jaime


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 6 Mar 2016 22:31:11
Message: <56dcafaf@news.povray.org>
Am 06.03.2016 um 21:16 schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:
> El 06/03/16 a las 11:20, Le_Forgeron escribió:
>> It was done in megapov, and it's currently also in hg-povray.
> 
>   Cannot compile hg-povray... I get a bunch of boost errors (undefined
> references): are the libraries requirements different from povray
> master? I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, and can compile povray master and uberpov
> without problems.

Boost 1.50 broke some stuff, and support has only been added quite a
while after the official 3.7.0 release; hg-povray might still be based
on a version of POV-Ray that didn't support boost 1.50 or later.


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 7 Mar 2016 08:20:17
Message: <56dd39c1$1@news.povray.org>
Le 06/03/2016 23:31, clipka a écrit :
> Am 06.03.2016 um 21:16 schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:
>> El 06/03/16 a las 11:20, Le_Forgeron escribió:
>>> It was done in megapov, and it's currently also in hg-povray.
>>
>>    Cannot compile hg-povray... I get a bunch of boost errors (undefined
>> references): are the libraries requirements different from povray
>> master? I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, and can compile povray master and uberpov
>> without problems.
>
> Boost 1.50 broke some stuff, and support has only been added quite a
> while after the official 3.7.0 release; hg-povray might still be based
> on a version of POV-Ray that didn't support boost 1.50 or later.
>

Did you put on configure line LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread" ?

What is the version of boost on ubuntu 14.04 ?


Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: Re: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 7 Mar 2016 08:27:56
Message: <56dd3b8c$1@news.povray.org>
El 07/03/16 a las 09:20, Le_Forgeron escribió:
> Did you put on configure line LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread" ?

   No... I used to need that configure option with the first iterations
of 3.7 on Ubuntu 12.04, but at some point it wasn't need anymore.


> What is the version of boost on ubuntu 14.04 ?


1.54.0

--
jaime


Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: Re: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 7 Mar 2016 08:38:16
Message: <56dd3df8$1@news.povray.org>
El 07/03/16 a las 09:20, Le_Forgeron escribió:
> Did you put on configure line LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread" ?

   Ok, that worked... thanks!

--
jaime


Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: Re: mesh data extraction patch
Date: 7 Mar 2016 09:50:34
Message: <56dd4eea$1@news.povray.org>
El 07/03/16 a las 09:38, Jaime Vives Piqueres escribió:
> El 07/03/16 a las 09:20, Le_Forgeron escribió:
>> Did you put on configure line LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread"
>> ?
>
> Ok, that worked... thanks!
>

   ...and my idea for covering the mesh surface works too (tough it needs
some work still). I think it will be useful to "furrify" mesh objects too.

--
jaime


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.