POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : mesh data extraction patch : mesh data extraction patch Server Time
23 Apr 2024 12:56:57 EDT (-0400)
  mesh data extraction patch
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 6 Mar 2016 04:56:08
Message: <56dbfeb8$1@news.povray.org>
During my current cave experiments, I thought it would be useful to have
access to mesh data, to more effectively place things on the mesh
surface. Using trace() against the mesh works, but it's not very
efficient when the mesh geometry is somewhat complex.

So I searched to see if someone ever made a patch to access mesh data,
in a way that could allow to loop over the triangles, and found that
Warp had a tentative patch for this:

http://news.povray.org/povray.unofficial.patches/thread/%3CXns900D79CAEseed7%40povray.org%3E/

I don't know if he ever actually created such a patch or was only
exposing the idea, but I think something exactly like that would be
terrifically useful.

So, my question is, would it be too hard to implement?

P.S.: Yes, Clipka, that's a covert feature request... ;)

--
jaime