POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Build issues on Mac OS X Server Time
28 Mar 2024 22:29:25 EDT (-0400)
  Build issues on Mac OS X (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: abecke12
Subject: Build issues on Mac OS X
Date: 20 Oct 2015 14:05:01
Message: <web.56268162c1f1e0dcb5df15800@news.povray.org>
Not sure how much help is available for this, but -

I was having issues getting my ./configure "etc" to run, but was able to use the
-lboost_system fix from
http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/%3Cslrnl8rua3.ipl.bisqwit%40bisqwit.iki.fi%3E/?mtop=397883.

However, I am having issues during the configuration with:

"checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin14.5.0
checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin14.5.0
/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0/unix/config/missing: Unknown
`--is-lightweight' option
Try `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0/unix/config/missing --help' for
more information
configure: WARNING: 'missing' script is too old or missing
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... unix/config/install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk"

etcetc.

I have tried the fixes of ./prebuild.sh in the unix directory, automake
--add-missing in the root, then ./prebuild.sh in the unix again, and it didn't
do anything.
(Also, possibly unrelated, is
"source/Makefile.am:35: warning: source file 'backend/bounding/bbox.cpp' is in a
subdirectory,
source/Makefile.am:35: but option 'subdir-objects' is disabled" for multiple
multiple multiple .cpp files. I am not versed in how to correct this.
automake's suggested fix is below, but I do not know how to enact it.

automake: warning: possible forward-incompatibility.
automake: At least a source file is in a subdirectory, but the 'subdir-objects'
automake: automake option hasn't been enabled.  For now, the corresponding
output
automake: object file(s) will be placed in the top-level directory.  However,
automake: this behaviour will change in future Automake versions: they will
automake: unconditionally cause object files to be placed in the same
subdirectory
automake: of the corresponding sources.
automake: You are advised to start using 'subdir-objects' option throughout your
automake: project, to avoid future incompatibilities." )

The configuration *says* it finishes, even with the 'missing' error, but the
make install does not work afterwards.

Thank you for your assistance,
abecke12

Post a reply to this message

> Not sure how much help is available for this, but -
>
> I was having issues getting my ./configure "etc" to run, but was
> able to use the -lboost_system fix from
> http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/%3Cslrnl8rua3.ipl.bisqwit%40
bisqwit.iki.fi%3E/?mtop=397883.

>  However, I am having issues during the configuration with:
>
> "checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin14.5.0 checking
> host system type... i386-apple-darwin14.5.0 checking for a
> BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c checking whether
> build environment is sane... yes
> /Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0/unix/config/missing:
> Unknown `--is-lightweight' option Try
> `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0/unix/config/missing
> --help' for more information configure: WARNING: 'missing' script
> is too old or missing checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p...
> unix/config/install-sh -c -d checking for gawk... no checking for
> mawk... no checking for nawk... no checking for awk... awk"
>

> etcetc.
>
> I have tried the fixes of ./prebuild.sh in the unix directory,
> automake --add-missing in the root, then ./prebuild.sh in the unix
> again, and it didn't do anything. (Also, possibly unrelated, is
> "source/Makefile.am:35: warning: source file
> 'backend/bounding/bbox.cpp' is in a subdirectory,
> source/Makefile.am:35: but option 'subdir-objects' is disabled" for
> multiple multiple multiple .cpp files. I am not versed in how to
> correct this. automake's suggested fix is below, but I do not know
> how to enact it.
>
> automake: warning: possible forward-incompatibility. automake: At
> least a source file is in a subdirectory, but the 'subdir-objects'
> automake: automake option hasn't been enabled.  For now, the
> corresponding output automake: object file(s) will be placed in the
> top-level directory.  However, automake: this behaviour will change
> in future Automake versions: they will automake: unconditionally
> cause object files to be placed in the same subdirectory automake:
> of the corresponding sources. automake: You are advised to start
> using 'subdir-objects' option throughout your automake: project, to
> avoid future incompatibilities." )
>
> The configuration *says* it finishes, even with the 'missing'
> error, but the make install does not work afterwards.
>
> Thank you for your assistance, abecke12

Did you read ? your version of automake is modern... and you need to
add the --subdir-objects on its command line. Just thanks the break of
backward compatibility in the development line of automake. (that's a
new option, that must be set to keep the same behaviour that previous
version had, and it is not recognized or even ignored without error by
older version).

Yet another great powerful fertilizer, isn't it ?

Post a reply to this message

From: abecke12
Date: 21 Oct 2015 16:35:01
Message: <web.5627f65353467fc2b5df15800@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Le 20/10/2015 20:01, abecke12 a écrit :
> > Not sure how much help is available for this, but -
> >
> > I was having issues getting my ./configure "etc" to run, but was
> > able to use the -lboost_system fix from
> > http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/%3Cslrnl8rua3.ipl.bisqwit%40
> bisqwit.iki.fi%3E/?mtop=397883.
> >
> >  However, I am having issues during the configuration with:
> >
> > "checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin14.5.0 checking
> > host system type... i386-apple-darwin14.5.0 checking for a
> > BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c checking whether
> > build environment is sane... yes
> > /Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0/unix/config/missing:
> > Unknown `--is-lightweight' option Try
> > `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0/unix/config/missing
> > --help' for more information configure: WARNING: 'missing' script
> > is too old or missing checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p...
> > unix/config/install-sh -c -d checking for gawk... no checking for
> > mawk... no checking for nawk... no checking for awk... awk"
> >

> > etcetc.
> >
> > I have tried the fixes of ./prebuild.sh in the unix directory,
> > automake --add-missing in the root, then ./prebuild.sh in the unix
> > again, and it didn't do anything. (Also, possibly unrelated, is
> > "source/Makefile.am:35: warning: source file
> > 'backend/bounding/bbox.cpp' is in a subdirectory,
> > source/Makefile.am:35: but option 'subdir-objects' is disabled" for
> > multiple multiple multiple .cpp files. I am not versed in how to
> > correct this. automake's suggested fix is below, but I do not know
> > how to enact it.
> >
> > automake: warning: possible forward-incompatibility. automake: At
> > least a source file is in a subdirectory, but the 'subdir-objects'
> > automake: automake option hasn't been enabled.  For now, the
> > corresponding output automake: object file(s) will be placed in the
> > top-level directory.  However, automake: this behaviour will change
> > in future Automake versions: they will automake: unconditionally
> > cause object files to be placed in the same subdirectory automake:
> > of the corresponding sources. automake: You are advised to start
> > using 'subdir-objects' option throughout your automake: project, to
> > avoid future incompatibilities." )
> >
> > The configuration *says* it finishes, even with the 'missing'
> > error, but the make install does not work afterwards.
> >
> > Thank you for your assistance, abecke12
> >

> Did you read ? your version of automake is modern... and you need to
> add the --subdir-objects on its command line. Just thanks the break of
> backward compatibility in the development line of automake. (that's a
> new option, that must be set to keep the same behaviour that previous
> version had, and it is not recognized or even ignored without error by
> older version).
>
> Yet another great powerful fertilizer, isn't it ?

Well, that problem has been fixed (Thank you!). And now I'm onto what I think is
the last error before this thing actually *works*. It's the same problem as
found here
http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/%3C5337fdde@news.povray.org%3E/

But it seems they never came across a way to fix this issue (at least that was
put there). I tried playing with path names, as that was the key to fixing a few
other issues for me, but to no avail.

Commands I used -
../configure COMPILED_BY="etcetc etc"
Flags I tried with said command- --sysconfdir=/etc
                                                      --prefix=$PREFIX
                                                      --disable-io-restrictions

This is the head part of the rendering portion of my "make -dw check" -

Must remake target `check'.
../unix/povray +i./distribution/scenes/advanced/biscuit.pov -f +d +p +v +w320
+h240 +a0.3 +L./include
Putting child 0x7fdc60f00550 (check) PID 83034 on the chain.
Live child 0x7fdc60f00550 (check) PID 83034
povray: cannot open the system configuration file /etc/povray/3.7/povray.conf:
No such file or directory
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.7.0.unofficial (g++ 4.2.1 @
 i386-apple-darwin14.5.0)
This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 me abecke12
 The POV-Ray Team is not responsible for supporting this version.

and the last bit of my "sudo make install" attempt -

make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1
Removing child 0x7fec89404f90 PID 82989 from chain.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0'
Reaping losing child 0x7f9ca0c05b00 PID 79903
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
Removing child 0x7f9ca0c05b00 PID 79903 from chain.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0'
Reaping losing child 0x7fb4dac1bda0 PID 79875
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
Removing child 0x7fb4dac1bda0 PID 79875 from chain.
make: Leaving directory `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0'

Thank you again,
abecke12

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Oct 2015 17:37:09
Message: <56280585$1@news.povray.org>

Le 21/10/2015 22:32, abecke12 a écrit :

> Well, that problem has been fixed (Thank you!). And now I'm onto
> what I think is the last error before this thing actually *works*.
> It's the same problem as found here
> http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/%3C5337fdde@news.povray.org%
3E/

>  But it seems they never came across a way to fix this issue (at
> least that was put there). I tried playing with path names, as that
> was the key to fixing a few other issues for me, but to no avail.
>
> Commands I used - ../configure COMPILED_BY="etcetc etc" Flags I
> tried with said command- --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=$PREFIX
> --disable-io-restrictions
>
> This is the head part of the rendering portion of my "make -dw
> check" -
>
> Must remake target `check'. ../unix/povray
> +i./distribution/scenes/advanced/biscuit.pov -f +d +p +v +w320
> +h240 +a0.3 +L./include Putting child 0x7fdc60f00550 (check) PID
> 83034 on the chain. Live child 0x7fdc60f00550 (check) PID 83034
> povray: cannot open the system configuration file
> /etc/povray/3.7/povray.conf:

Yep, hen & egg problem... make check works... if you already installed
it before the check. (so nobody sees the problem, because everyone
(i.e. dev & tester) already have povray installed).
Actually, you need to install at least the data, not the program.
("sudo make install-data" might install that part)

I usually test a binary just with ./unix/povray --benchmark
(as the benchmark should be autonomous, IIRC, without any file operation
s)

> No such file or directory Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer
> Version 3.7.0.unofficial (g++ 4.2.1 @ i386-apple-darwin14.5.0)

g++ 4.2 ??? isn't it a bit old ? (just a surprise)

> This is an unofficial version compiled by: me abecke12 The POV-Ray
> Team is not responsible for supporting this version.
>

> and the last bit of my "sudo make install" attempt -
>
> make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1 Removing child
> 0x7fec89404f90 PID 82989 from chain. make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0' Reaping losing child
> 0x7f9ca0c05b00 PID 79903 make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2 Removing
> child 0x7f9ca0c05b00 PID 79903 from chain. make[1]: Leaving
> directory `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0' Reaping losing
> child 0x7fb4dac1bda0 PID 79875 make: *** [install-recursive] Error
> 1 Removing child 0x7fb4dac1bda0 PID 79875 from chain. make: Leaving
> directory `/Users/abecker/Downloads/povray-3.7.0.0'

Do you really need to play with sysconfigdir and PREFIX ?
Could it be that the root(Prefix) does not exist or is not writable ?

default (on linux, no mac experience here) is /usr/local, which is
good enough usually.