POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : crash when using more than 4Gb memory Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:29:42 EDT (-0400)
  crash when using more than 4Gb memory (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: fdecomite
Subject: crash when using more than 4Gb memory
Date: 6 Dec 2013 09:45:01
Message: <web.52a1e21f65a1b5a719fe75b20@news.povray.org>
Povray 3.7 on Ubuntu crashes as sson as it overpass 4giga of memory use.
Won't it be possible to release this threshold ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: crash when using more than 4Gb memory
Date: 6 Dec 2013 10:04:15
Message: <52a1e76f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 06/12/2013 15:41, fdecomite a écrit :
> Povray 3.7 on Ubuntu crashes as sson as it overpass 4giga of memory use.
> Won't it be possible to release this threshold ?

Can you provide a scene to reproduce ?

Which version of ubuntu ?

(IIRC, I went past the 4giga without problem in the 3.7RC series)

Have you check that your ulimit is not set to kill any process that use
more than 4 giga of memory ? (ulimit -m)

What is your memory size ?
Do you have a swap enable ?

Is povray on your system a 32 bits or 64 bits application ? Is your
system a 32 or 64 bits ?

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message

https://bigfile.univ-lille1.fr/get?k=I319vBtHiACWmRtPQmr

> Which version of ubuntu ?
13.10

> (IIRC, I went past the 4giga without problem in the 3.7RC series)
>
> Have you check that your ulimit is not set to kill any process that use
> more than 4 giga of memory ? (ulimit -m)
unlimited

> What is your memory size ?
32g
> Do you have a swap enable ?
don't know

> Is povray on your system a 32 bits or 64 bits application ?
64
Is your
> system a 32 or 64 bits ?
64

> --
> Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message

Le 06/12/2013 16:26, fdecomite nous fit lire :
> Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> Le 06/12/2013 15:41, fdecomite a écrit :
>>> Povray 3.7 on Ubuntu crashes as sson as it overpass 4giga of memory use.
>>> Won't it be possible to release this threshold ?
>>
>> Can you provide a scene to reproduce ?
>
> https://bigfile.univ-lille1.fr/get?k=I319vBtHiACWmRtPQmr

A dos file ?

Had to change seuilDeBase to 1.0 to get a memory hungry script

You have a division by 0 on first iteration (where level=0)

Parsing went fine to grab more than 5 giga (checked with top)

>> Which version of ubuntu ?
> 13.10

Same for me.

>> Is povray on your system a 32 bits or 64 bits application ?
> 64

I would challenge that point:

My result for "file /usr/local/bin/povray" is:

ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24,
BuildID[sha1]=0xadea6f17ceef66d4c66591feb618ef1a11cdba05, stripped

> Is your
>> system a 32 or 64 bits ?
> 64

Me too.