POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : crash when using more than 4Gb memory : Re: crash when using more than 4Gb memory Server Time
24 Apr 2024 07:54:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crash when using more than 4Gb memory
From: clipka
Date: 6 Dec 2013 15:06:42
Message: <52a22e52$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.12.2013 16:26, schrieb fdecomite:
> Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> Le 06/12/2013 15:41, fdecomite a écrit :
>>> Povray 3.7 on Ubuntu crashes as sson as it overpass 4giga of memory use.
>>> Won't it be possible to release this threshold ?
>> Have you check that your ulimit is not set to kill any process that use
>> more than 4 giga of memory ? (ulimit -m)
> unlimited

Are you absolutely sure about this?

I can't think of any mechanism whatsoever in POV-Ray that could lead to
a hard crash at passing exactly 4GB of memory use.

If it was due to limited address space (i.e. a 32 bit version of
POV-Ray), the crash would presumably at 2GB or 3GB, as the OS usually
wants a chunk of the address space, too.

If it was due to some internal variable overflowing, the crash would be
at a much more arbitrary limit, as it would affect only an individual
data structure, with plenty of other data being around to take up
additional space.

There is also no mechanism implemented in POV-Ray to monitor memory
consumption (although such a mechanism would be useful at least on
Windows machines, in order to prevent the system from entering swap hell
when the physical memory limit is exceeded).

There is, however, that very mechanism in the Linux OS to forcefully
limit the size of any user process, and if it kicks in it will do
exactly what you see: Terminate the process hard.